Monday, October 22, 2007

RBOC Monday

  • We got rid of all the beets. People lined up for 'em. I swear! Only kept one four-pound beet for us. Had to toss 2 beets b/c suspicious gouges out of them. Shovel mark? Rodent mark? We finally roasted our beet tonight and ate part of it in a salad.
  • Also cooked lasagna, one whole small sugar pumpkin (couldn't cut it raw! We'll see how that turns out...) some other squash and a huge sweet potato. Cause, hey, once the oven's on, you might as well bake something, right? So we're covered for non-green veggies for the week, I think. Which is good, b/c we are both apparently feeling lazy about cooking and cleaning these days.
  • Our neighbor found hus cat who had come home to the yard to die. I am very sad for hum.
  • Apparently, in order to move to limit non-custodial parental visitation to the supervised kind in some states, the parent has to have physically hurt the child, not a current partner, and not a household animal. This is sick.
  • Today, I watched a tree crew cut down and chip an entire ginormous dead tree. I know with some tree sicknesses you can't reuse the wood, but this was really hard to watch, even though the tree was already dead long ago. I just kept thinking, well *that* 4 foot diameter part of the trunk is gorgeous, surely they'll keep *that* part. And then, they would slice it up with their huge chainsaws and huck it into the chipper. This tree could have provided wood for a small household of furniture. Or many days of heating. I don't know where it will go. Where do infected wood chips go? Anyone?
  • This also added to the regular construction noises we have been listening to at work for the last few months.
  • Listening to music really loud on earphones doesn't really make the other noise go away. You just have loud music and construction noise together.
  • I went out on a photo safari yesterday, and found out I now suck pretty badly at taking pictures. (I don't think I used to.) In my defense, it is hard to frame a shot when the ambient sunlight keeps you from being able to see more than vague outlines on the back display screen thingy. I guess practice and editing (choosing of shots, not necessarily editing the shots themselves) would help. It was a fun thing to do, in any case. I might show you one of the better shots later this week, if I have the energy to upload anything. And I might try again.
  • Been reading a bit more lately, since work is less consuming this season. Sucktastic: Ex Libris. Decent plot and awesome characters, but too much lovin': The Changeling of Finnistuath. Pretty Good: Flora's Suitcase, and Paul Park's A Princess of Roumania trilogy, although dude, where did the plot go in the third book, and did you know your antagonist took over like the last umpty-ump pages of this story? Without really doing anything? Rein that puppeh back in.
That is all.

No comments: