Monday, October 15, 2007

Holy Cow

That's a lot of beets!

We have a neighbor who is friends with a local farmer, who occasionally drops off excess produce. Most of it, they use, and happily. The beets, not so much. This is where we come in. We love beets. But, 40 pounds?!? And some of these suckers are almost as big as my head.

Well, my work is cut out for me. Last time, I'd guess we had maybe fifteen lbs. to dispatch. We had borscht, we had salads, we had beets in vinegar, we had vegetable soup with beets. All we could eat for about 2 weeks, until they were coming out our ears, and then there were still a couple that made it into the trash when we could eat no more and they had sat a respectable time in the fridge....

So, holy cow. What do I do? I guess tomorrow, I'll make the rounds of office workers and neighbors, to see if anyone else likes beets, although I'm doubtful I'll find anyone with as much commitment as us. Still, waste not, want not, right?

Wish me luck, and send your favorite beet recipes!

No comments: