Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sunday cat blogging

Hi. I have an important question. Sorry, no fun pictures. We are trying to be green, as you may have guessed with my recent posts on biking and car use. We also have cats. Two for now, maybe outsourcing one soonish. I just cleaned out the litter boxes. We have resolved to try to do this more often (we often make this resolution).

In any case, here's the deal: currently we use plastic bags from the market, but sometimes recently we get low on these, as we are trying to bring our own reusable bags. Someone recently suggested on CAP that folks use smaller bags from grocery purchases for this: bags from bread or other products, not the bag you put groceries in at the checkout. I like this idea, and I think it will work for us as we do unfortunately buy a number of processed foods that come in a plastic bag of one sort or another. And, it seems to me that if we clean the litter boxes more often, the size of the bags is less of an issue.

We have friends who use something like a diaper genie for cats to control odors once the box has been scooped. This seems like a great idea for apartment living, and hey, even in a house, who wants the place to smell like cat? But it doesn't seem very green. Currently our back porch is the stinky poop warehouse where scooped, bagged litter waits for the biweekly trash pick up. ew. So, we are going to try bagging the prizes and putting them in a big plastic container while they wait. But, I am still looking for a better way: less stinky, and greener. We currently use Arm and Hammer, which comes in a big, heavy weight cardboard box. We have tried greener litter, and the cats don't like it, plus the odor control is an issue, even with frequent scooping.

a) Is there a litter that is similar to Arm & Hammer Multi Cat, but that comes in a paper bag?
b) What do you know about other options for cat waste? I like the idea of the cat learning to use the toilet, but I've heard that in some states (CA?) this is illegal, for environmental reasons. What are those reasons? Is it better to go this route and thereby avoid the good/bad litter debate? Or would we just be polluting the sewage system by doing this?

Seems to me that training the cat to use the toilet would help us avoid having to use the plastic bags at all, help with the odor problem, help with the never-ending resolution to keep the boxes nicer for the cats. But. I don't want to be the person putting something toxic into the system, if it won't work with current sewage treatment methods....

3 comments:

Ursa said...

Ok, I see that the environmental issue with flushing cat feces is that toxoplasmosis doesn't get filtered out and can hurt sea otters and possibly other marine critters. So, if my cats have been screened for this and don't have it, can I flush? Or are there other issues? We have a vet trip soon. I'll ask and get back to you!

Ursa said...

Um, the vet says it's ok to flush, but she didn't seem very in tune with the environmental issues. I mean, she was aware of them, but seemed to be saying that human feces probably has worse stuff for the environment in it, so it's not worth worrying about cat feces, especially since the sea otters are far, far away from where we live....
So, I'm not sure, but I think I still have a dilemma. Any ideas?

Rachel said...

Ok, not a blogger, hope this works.... Have you looked at Cat Genie? (.com) It hooks into the sanitary system, but it also has some kind of "SaniSolution" which, while apparently unidentified on the site, "It has the same ingredients that veterinarians use to clean their operating and examinations areas." So, this might be neutralizing any risks you've heard about.

Meanwhile, they caught my eye with the promise of reusable litter, but they seem to use a fair amount of water, plastic cartridges, and electricity. I'm tempted to get the 90-day in-home trial and test the quantities on that.