Friday, June 29, 2007

Things look like things

For those of you interested in design and/or photography, I have a linkalicious entry for you today!

First, a blogger pick from a few days ago which I enjoyed browsing, despite some repetition of -cupcakes-, uh, I mean themes. The idea is to juxtapose unrelated photos which share a common element. Sometimes there is a story created, other times, not.

Then, Ianqui has links to hus photo archive, including hus 365 photos project. I was enjoying going through them a day or two ago. Many NYC shots, a good eye for urban shots as well as color and beauty shots. One of the things that stood out to me as I went back later and looked at some of the 365 project as a thumbnail 'collage' was that there is also some interesting work there on motion and shape, and I couldn't help (sans doute influenced by my recent visit to TLLT) but connect some of the photos with similar shapes or directions of movement to each other during my viewing. This was interesting to me, as the format allowed me to appreciate certain shots that hadn't caught my eye in slideshow format, and also because I enjoyed the alchemy of sorting photos together in my mind: sometimes a photo ends up being about something completely different, just because of what you put it next to. Fun!

Also recently blew a couple of hours poking around this site: Open Architecture Network. Really neat to see what at least a handful of architects and builders are up to around the world. Some of the projects are ho-hum, but some are pretty cool. Everything from straw bale cottages, to hurricane relief work, to hexayurts (ok, maybe just one), and balloon buildings. You can search by region, location, theme, degree of completion of project.

And I went window shopping online, to a number of fun, modern furnishings stores, led mostly by a link to easily buildable/unbuildable furniture that was pretty. (Thanks Treehugger!) Also check out Design Life Now, if you didn't already discover it a year ago, since the triennial was in 2006... Browsing by designers is fun, and can suck up a couple more hours of your life.

So there you go: now you have the weekend ahead of you. Enjoy!

Oh, and does anyone know how to cross out a word in a post?

No comments: