Monday, May 07, 2007

Tomatoes, sage, strawberries and thyme!

Today I started my garden. It's a container garden. I have to laugh at myself: I have such a hard time waiting for the nights to get warm enough here, and then I go and plant stuff that will never, ever, really grow in this climate: tomatoes, eucalyptus (wtf!?), thyme, sage, strawberries. It's like I think that by planting them, I might cause there to be enough sunny days for them to grow. Climate change aside, it ain't happening!

The mint roots I had started to give up on coming back to life? When I started to hack them out, they smelled really good, so I left them in, just in case. Maybe they are a little wick, maybe I'm just imagining things. I don't think they'd smell that strongly if they were really all dried up and dead. I hope they are alive, because I'm really ashamed if I'm the only one in the world who can actually kill mint. But, maybe that's a marketable skill... I *did* overhear someone at the nursery asking about how to get rid of bamboo...

Boy, is it fun to dig in dirt! Oh, and there's a flowering plant a friend gave me last summer from her garden, which was supposed to come back, but wasn't and wasn't.... Today, I saw the first little sprouty pieces coming up from the old plant. Don't remember the name of the plant. Hmmm. Still need sweet potatoes and petunias. Also tried to plant some cuttings I have had sitting in water for many months. And some new ones as well, with a first attempt to use rooting hormone. Angel wing begonia (had this plant for 5 years before I knew what it was....Thank you teh internets!) and some housey plant thing, and a baby from the spider plant. Yeah, I'm a real horticulturist. What can I say?

Speaking of climate change: have recently discovered that with short short hair, I now can wash it quickly in sink. Am v. pleased to find a way to save water easily and also feel less guilty on the days I do take a long shower. Unforseen benefit. Yay.

No comments: